Your Own Journey to Awesome

by Rebecca on May 27, 2013

iStock_000019172316XSmallA few weeks back, I wrote a post about how awesome is not average with regards to your animal hospital.  I definitely do not want to have an “average” business, and as a matter of fact, I really do not want to be average in any part of my life.

The world wants you to be nothing more than average, but we are all meant to live awesome lives.  Think about back when you were a little kid. Did you really think this is where you would be? For some people, life may be better than they thought it would be, but for most people, life has been somewhat of a disappointment.

Breaking away from the status quo of being average may seem like an impossibility, but it is not. I believe you are meant to find your own journey to awesome, but it requires more than just the desire-it takes work!

Recently, I received an email from a veterinarian who was asking for some advice, as he gets started on his own journey to awesome.  Back 10 years ago, there was not a whole lot to choose from, other than books and cassettes (remember those,) but now the multitude of choices can be paralyzing!

The biggest limiters on your journey to awesome are usually where do I find the time and where do I begin?

In his book, “Quitter”, Jon Acuff talks about being selfish at 5:00 am, and he is completely on to something.  Early morning is probably the only time we can focus completely on ourselves without it affecting anyone in our family.  I don’t think your spouse or kids will ever give you a hard time about not being attentive to them at 5:00 am.

Another great place to be selfish is during your commute to and from work.  I am a huge fan of podcasts and audiobooks.  Fill up your iPod with valuable podcasts rather than mindless listening to the same songs or depressing news on the local radio station.   Andy Stanley’s Leadership Podcast, The Entreleadership Podcast and Michael Hyatt’s This is Your Life Podcast are great ones to get you started on your journey to awesome.

I love to read.  Books to me are like shoes are to most women.  If you just run over to your local bookstore, you will likely be overwhelmed with the vast number of leadership books.  Amazon is even worse.  I typed “leadership book”  into the search on Amazon.com, and I got 85,873 hits.  Obviously, not all 85,873 leadership books are great or even good.  So here are a few of my favorite books to get you started on your own journey to awesome:

• The Go-Giver,” by Bob Burg is actually required reading for anyone who joins our team.  It is an easy read and a great story about how life and business really work.
  • 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership” is a classic by the leadership guru, John Maxwell.  It is a fantastic book and is a great book to get started on your own journey to awesome. FYI it is #1 on Amazon when you type in leadership book-pretty impressive!
  • Daring Greatly”, by Brene Brown, is a game-changing book.  It is one of the best books I have ever read and sheds a whole new light on vulnerability.  Brown explains why vulnerability is at the core of meaningful human experiences, and without it, we are not living the lives we were meant to live.  It is not a traditional leadership book, but if you apply what you read, it will change both your personal and professional life-no kidding it is that good.
  • Great by Choice”, by Jim Collins is a classic business book, but every book Collins puts out is based on scientific research, and this book is no exception.  What I really loved about “Great by Choice” is it was so relevant to the small business and entrepreneur unlike some of his other bestsellers.

To help you get started on your own path to awesome, if you leave a comment on this blog, your name will be put into a drawing for the book of your choice, which I will mail to you.  All comments must be received by June 15, 2013.  Be sure to include your email address so I can let you know on June 16, if you were the winner!

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Dan May 27, 2013 at 10:15 pm

So true. Mornings are usually wide open and windshield time gets misused. My struggle right now is with how to be a true “hedgehog” and not the fox, here there and everywhere! Keep up the good discussions

Rebecca May 28, 2013 at 8:27 am

Right there with you- as the school year is winding down it is very difficult to get rolling that early. Vi look forward to summer when I can be selfish at 6 am which is a lot easier than 5 am. Thanks for commenting!

Billy May 28, 2013 at 10:47 am

I’m on the journey…..but man, it is a long and winding road! What other books do you ask your team to read before coming on board?

Rebecca May 28, 2013 at 10:56 am

You are not kidding- long and winding road! Right there with you! The other book is QBQ by John Miller- a great book about personal accountability

Jenny May 28, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I’m going to suggest our “small group” read The Go-Giver before our next meeting, so I’m not going to wait and see if I win it before I buy it : )

Rebecca May 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm

What a wonderful idea- way to go Jenny!

Trudi May 28, 2013 at 5:02 pm

“Daring Greatly” has been on my reading list for a while now, but I never thought of this having applications for work life as well! Now, I really have no excuse for not picking this one up! Great post and thanks for the opportunity!!

Rebecca May 28, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Trudi it is a fantastic book- one of my top 5- you will also love her other book- the gifts of imperfection!

Rebekah Brown May 30, 2013 at 7:40 am

Thanks for the great post Rebecca and sorry to be slow to comment. I’ve been busy speaking and networking at our national vet conference this week and just got home a few hours ago. Brene Brown’s line from her TED talk, ‘I am enough’ has been very significant for me as I often struggle to believe it about myself and I’d love to read her book.

Rebecca May 30, 2013 at 7:48 am

It is a great book for sure. Glad to hear from you! Saw that you were headed to the conference- hope it went well

Katherine May 31, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I find your blogs to be most inspirational. I look forward to continuing my journey and learning with my team.

Rebecca May 31, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thanks a lot for commenting Katherine- where are you located?

Ginger June 10, 2013 at 7:27 am

These are awesome book suggestions!! Thank you so much for taking the time to encourage us all to excel in our personal AND professional lives. You are awesome! 🙂

Rebecca June 10, 2013 at 7:52 am

Thanks Ginger- you are too!

Melissa June 10, 2013 at 1:16 pm

One lie we tend to tell ourselves is that we are “too old” to start something new. That is NOT true!!! It is never too late to start out on the road to awesome…or to get back on it after a long pit stop.

Rebecca June 10, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Ha you are right on that one and you are not old!!

Marie June 13, 2013 at 11:10 pm

In my case, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I have tried to get up early to have quiet time or to read but have yet to succeed. I do have a 30 minute commute each way each day, so I am going to take your excellent suggestion and begin listening to audio books or podcasts (will need to get up to speed on these!) . I want to thank you Rebecca for your impact in my journey to be my own awesome.