How to REALLY Increase Owner Compliance – Part 2

by Rebecca on August 26, 2013

bigstock-Compliance-stamp-45587035In last week’s post, we were discussing how to best connect with your introverted clients.  This week, we will be talking about how to connect with those hard to forget extroverts.

Understanding your clients and what makes them “tick,” will make all the difference when it comes to owner compliance.

We can spend all the time we want creating new programs to get clients to bring in their cats or commit to better dental health for their dogs, but until WE take the time to CONNECT with our clients, these types of “programs” will not be successful!

Connecting with your clients is not difficult and is as simple as asking yourself two questions about each of them.

Question 1- Are they extroverted or introverted?

• High D and High I are extroverted
  • High S and High C are introverted

Question 2- Are they people or task oriented?

• High I and High S are people oriented
  •  High D and High C are task oriented

What do these extroverts need from you?

High D

• They are looking for RESULTS
  • Stay business like
  • Be brief and to the point
  • Be confident, don’t be intimidated
  • Give them alternatives
  • Let them believe they came up with the answers/solution when possible

High I

• They are looking for the EXPERIENCE
  • Be friendly
  • Allow them to talk
  • Don’t overwhelm them with too many details
  • Slow down and take your time
  • Give them recognition (if they are doing a great job caring for their pet-let them know)

If you truly want to increase owner compliance then this is by far the best way to do it!

I challenge you to try this for the next 60 days and see what happens.

I bet you will be amazed in the difference you see with your clients.  Heck, you might even find that some of those difficult clients are not quite as difficult to deal with now that you have a better understanding of what makes them tick!

Are you up for the 60-day challenge? Please let us know right here and right now-we would love to hear what you think!

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Billy August 26, 2013 at 9:09 am

Rebecca

I think identifying someone as extroverted or introverted is a little bit more straight forward. But how do you identify someone as people or task oriented? What exactly does that mean? Are there things that you pick up on in conversation or body language that make this person people or task oriented?

Rebecca August 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I think both but for me conversation is easier. A people person is one who asks about your family when you see them or even with the front desk staff they are striking up a conversation. They typically don’t seem like they are in a really big hurry and it is obvious they want to know you and your staff better- on a more personal level. The task person- is more direct, seemingly more in a hurry, not big on small talk- more of just the facts type of person. They are not as “warm and Fuzzy” as the I’s and S’s are.
Kadie who works with me is a very high S- she always asks how was your weekend- those type of things that a task oriented person would never get into.

Make sense?
Start looking for those little differences and I am certain you will begin to see them

Billy August 26, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Thanks Rebecca. That makes more sense.

Dan August 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Rebecca

Great posts. You may have Already covered this but how do you use DISC for your employees and hiring. We follow similar circles. Do you use Dave’s or another? Keep up the good work.

Rebecca August 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I would NEVER hire someone to be on my team without having a DISC profile done in order to determine if they are a good fit for the position we are trying to fill. I believe this is one reason for high staff turnover- putting people in positions they were never well suited for. I did do a post on that and am in the process of putting together a newsletter which will include that post- so make sure you are subscribed to our email list.

I used to use the Dave Ramsey one and thing it is good but I use one through my coaching group http://www.buildingchampions.com because I like the way it flows better.

If you would like to get any DISCs set up- let me I know and keep a look out for our newsletter!

Rebecca August 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Dan how long have you been using DISC?

Dan August 26, 2013 at 5:43 pm

We haven’t individually. We went through the card game as a group exercise to find personality styles, but need to implement in hiring.

Rebecca August 26, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Billy- glad that makes more sense- keep me posted about how it is working for you!

Rebecca August 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I can’t recommend it enough. We are hoping to offer it on the site soon and can help you figure it out too if you would be interested

Nyssa Johnson August 31, 2013 at 6:14 pm

There are so many small things you can pick up on by paying attention to a client that will help you give them a customized, positive experience. I instantly make note of their mood and body-language: are they impatient or in a hurry? Are they distracted because they brought their kids along and they’re running amok? Are they tremendously shy or quiet? Are they smiling? Frowning? Making or not making eye contact? Are they proud? Unsure? On the defensive? There are small ways to approach each and every one of these clients to make their experience is positive! It helps to imagine yourself in their position, with their mood, and determine how YOU would want someone to treat you! Can you expedite things for the impatient client? Can you give the annoying kids something to keep them busy? Can you gush over the proud owner and their pet? Can you smile and speak gently and happily to the nervous or shy owner? Can you laugh along with and seem very interested in everything the chatty owner has to say? YES, you can! I enjoy the interesting puzzle of figuring out and adjusting my behavior to each and every unique client! My biggest struggle is learning how to keep things moving quickly and not take TOO much time with doting on each and every client when the clinic needs to be moving at a faster pace. It’s a tricky skill to give the client what they want while moving things along at a reasonable pace. But it’s a fun challenge! I had no idea I enjoyed client service so much until I was hired at All 4 Paws!

Rebecca September 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm

GREAT GREAT stuff Nyssa thanks so much for taking the time to contribute! You are very right and I agree I really enjoy the customer service thing too!